Recent studies have shown that in 90% of cases, bad breath comes from volatile sulphur compounds. These compounds are produced by anaerobic bacteria that live on your tongue and your gums. In the other 10% of cases, the bad breath comes from metabolic by-products released through your lungs. These by-products are usually the result of a medical condition or drugs.
Other causes of bad breath include respiratory disorders, liver disease, kidney disease, and systemic diseases such as diabetes and leukemia.
Bad breath is diagnosed and treated by investigating the medical and dental history of the patient. Your dentist will also perform a dental clinical examination, and a periodontal evaluation.
Bad breath is also associated with periodontal disease, or gum disease. If you suffer from periodontal disease, pockets are formed in your gums and around your teeth. As these pockets widen, adjacent gum tissue breaks down. The deeper you allow these pockets to get, the more food they capture, and the more bacteria develops.
Once Dr. White understands what is causing your bad breath, you can then begin to fix the problem. If your bad breath requires clinical treatment, your anaerobic flora must be removed while the volatile sulphur is neutralized. This treatment is painless yet highly effective. Under this procedure, the source of your bad breath is removed and not just covered up.
For more information, see Questions about Bad Breath Treatment.
If you are concerned about your breath and want it fixed rather than concealed, call us at 918-663-5538, or toll free at 1-877-663-5538 to set up a free consultation, or fill out our online form.
Periodontal disease -
Brushing your teeth -
Scaling Calcus -